Most of you guys know that in june I attended the Klingenstein Summer Institute for new teachers. Here are a few “Pearls” of wisdom:
- Don’t think of it as “change” – it is really just continuous improvement.
- “When everything is graded, when can [students] fail?” – Kelley Nicholson Flynn, science leader teacher
- Does it require “the power of the group?” – Josh Pretzer, science leader teacher – when referring to whether or not to assign collaborative work.
- Growth mindset: try, fail, learn.
- 1% change: Don’t try to change everything at once – Gary Giberson, founder of Sustainable Fare, Lawrenceville’s dining services.
- All my best assignments meet Stipek’s 5 dimensions of motivation:
- need for sense of competency
- need for sense of self-determination
- need for interpersonal connection
- need for sense of purpose, meaning, or relevance
- “Every idea I’ve had has been improved by others” – Pearl Rock Kane, co-founder and school leadership visionary